Get Involved with AWIS
Help lead the fight for equity and diversity with AWIS. Check out our volunteer positions!
For 50 years, AWIS has been championing women in science. If you are also passionate about advancing gender equity, consider joining a committee or assuming a leadership position. Volunteering is a rewarding experience, and you will enjoy collaborating with an exceptional team of committed professionals!
Volunteering with AWIS can help you:
- meet people who have taken similar career paths
- build your personal resume, experience, and skillsets
- give back and pave the way for other women
- make an impact and be part of something bigger than yourself
Check below for our latest opportunities!
- Become a mentor. We can connect you with your local chapter or match you with someone virtually.
- Join the Advocacy Taskforce. Meet monthly to review and refresh AWIS policy agenda, support Capitol Hill Day, and State Capitol Days.
- Join the Educational Awards Committee. Meet one hour a month February through April to evaluate and determine this year’s award recipients. Inform applications of the outcome
- Join the Writing Team. Meet once a quarter to discuss the upcoming AWIS magazine theme and trends. Volunteer to write an article for the magazine or a blog for our online content hub if there is a topic that interests you and your schedule allows.
- Share your expertise on a webinar. If you frequently speak on professional development topics, diversity or advocacy issues – our members likely want to hear from you!
- Volunteer with your local chapter. Chapters need engaged members to serve as board leaders and committee heads, provide marketing support and website updates, and a variety of other volunteer positions.
Meet a Few of Your Peers
“Since becoming an active AWIS member, I have grown so much professionally. The support at both the chapter and national level has helped me to identify what it means to be a woman and leader in science.”
Amy Kullas, PhD, Director of Ethics
American Society for Microbiology
AWIS Member since 2013
"Serving with AWIS has provided me the opportunity to network with successful women in STEM, organize professional development events for my peers, and mentor the next generation of young women pursuing degrees in the sciences."
Sarah Wright, Senior Scientist
Vaccine Analytical R&D, Merck
AWIS Member since 2013
1629 K Street, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20006
Registered 501(c)(3). EIN: 23-7221574