A 50-year History of Championing Women in Science & Over 30 Grassroots Chapters
We are dedicated to driving excellence in STEM by achieving equity and full participation of women in all disciplines and across all employment sectors.
AWIS champions the interests of women in science across all disciplines and employment sectors. Working for positive system transformation, AWIS strives to ensure that all women in these fields can achieve their full potential.
For individuals seeking equity for women in science, engineering, technology and math, AWIS provides career development, networking, mentorship, and leadership opportunities. In addition, our thought leadership, research, and advocacy benefit all women in science.
As a result of the work we do, women in STEM will be:
- Compensated fairly and without discrimination;
- Advanced equitably and without bias;
- Respected and recognized for their scientific achievements;
- Exposed to successful role models in leadership positions; and
- Able to achieve optimum work/life integration.
“The “W” in AWIS stands for women. Our community knows that the collective “W” includes women of color, women from different socioeconomic backgrounds, women with disabilities, women who are caregivers, and women who are cisgender (when biological sex at birth matches gender identity), as well as those who identify as transgender (when biological sex at birth and identity are different), nonbinary, gender-fluid, and/or queer. We include everyone in our “W.” Indeed, we might even think of the “W” in AWIS as meaning “whole-person.”
Do you believe in our mission to champion women in science? You can make a lasting impact for current and future women scientists. Here’s how you can get involved:
- Make a Donation — Support our advocacy, education, and career advancement efforts with a monetary gift. AWIS is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, so your gift is tax-deductible.
- Become a Member — AWIS members create a safe, supportive community for women scientists. As an AWIS member, you can invest in yourself and fellow women in science.
- Become a Partner — Higher education institutions, corporations, and other organizations partner with AWIS to connect with and champion our global network of women scientists.
For additional information about how you can support AWIS, please email email@example.com or call us at 202-827-9798.
More about our Members
Please note: This data is self-reported by members, and they can choose not to answer these questions on their profile.
AWIS Members by Discipline
- Biological/Agricultural Science 36% 36%
- Chemistry 8% 8%
- Computer Science and Math 9% 9%
- Earth and Geoscience 9% 9%
- Engineering 9% 9%
- Health and Medical 19% 19%
- Social Sciences 6% 6%
- Physics and Astronomy 7% 7%
AWIS Members by Employment Sector
- Academia 63% 63%
- Industry/Business 17% 17%
- Government/Military/Public Service 10% 10%
- Other 11% 11%
AWIS Members by Career Stage
- Student 38% 38%
- Postdoc/Early Career 28% 28%
- Mid Career 17% 17%
- Senior Career 12% 12%
- Other 4% 4%
AWIS Members by Race/Ethnicity
- Asian/Asian American 23% 23%
- Black/African American 7% 7%
- Hispanic/Latina 10% 10%
- White 56% 56%
- Mixed/Other 4% 4%