Why DonateHelp Women Scientists Reach Their Full Potential
The AWIS Emory Chapter hosts an event with state representatives and Emory University professors.
The Reason for AWIS
Women scientists continue to face disproportionate barriers to success. Compared to men, women scientists have fewer opportunities for:
- Advancement into leadership roles
- Publication of their discoveries
- Recognition for their innovations
At the same time, women scientists also encounter more frequent discrimination and harassment, including sexual harassment, in the workplace. These challenges are even greater for women scientists who come from marginalized communities, such as the BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and/or disabled communities.
COVID-19 has exacerbated the disparities with childcare disruptions impacting women more than men.
Will you donate to support AWIS and our advocacy, education, and career advancement efforts? AWIS is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, so your gift is tax-deductible.
Key facts about the equity gap for women in science
- Although women make up 50% of the US college-educated workforce, they represent only 28% of the science and engineering workforce. ngcproject.org
- In US higher education institutions, about 1 in 4 deans and department heads are women; in the sciences, only about 1 in 20 deans and department heads are women. eric.ed.gov
- Women publish only about 35% of STEM research publications. Northeastern.edu
- Less than 13% of US inventors receiving patents are women. USPTO.gov
In scientific field work
71% of women have experienced sexual harassment, and 26% of women have experienced sexual assault.
How AWIS supports women in science
AWIS works to break down systemic barriers to women’s advancement in science. We champion the interests of women in science through:
- Advocacy — We engage in a wide range of advocacy efforts for women in science, including weekly public policy meetings with science society leadership; partnership with the Societies Consortium on Sexual Harassment in STEMM; and planning of advocacy activities for our members, like our recent screening and discussion of the film Picture a Scientist and development of antiracist resources.
- Recognition — We uplift the voices of women scientists not only through our advocacy efforts, but also highlight their research and accomplishments through our membership resources, member spotlights, social media, and monthly magazine.
- Career Advancement — We offer scholarships and grants, annual member awards, networking opportunities, trainings and other events, and a career center featuring thousands of job opportunities. AWIS also helps women develop leadership skills by inviting members to join planning committees, become mentors, and serve on their local chapter’s board.
- Community — We created an online member community where members can participate in discussion threads, share encouragement, and announce professional accomplishments with each other.
- Thought Leadership — AWIS helps policy makers, employers, and other key stakeholders understand the factors needed to develop equitable, inclusive workplaces for women in science. We analyze trends in the fields of science to offer actionable advice about how this research applies to women scientists and the organizations where they work.
- Organizational Partnerships — We partner directly with organizations to help promote and accelerate equity, inclusion, and advancement of women in science. Our leaders help organizations that hire women scientists implement evidence-based best practices in talent acquisition, retention, and leadership development.
In 2021, we celebrated our 50th anniversary of supporting women in science. Read more about our latest accomplishments in the 2021 Annual Report
As a result of the work we do, women in STEM will be:
- Compensated fairly and without discrimination;
- Advanced equitably and without bias;
- Respected and recognized for their scientific achievements;
- Exposed to successful role models in leadership positions; and
- Able to achieve optimum work/life integration.
Do you believe in our mission to champion women in science? Donate now to make a lasting impact for current and future women scientists:
- General Donation — Support women in science throughout their career journey.
- Planned Giving — Make a legacy gift through an estate gift, charitable bequest, life insurance benefit, or retirement plan designation.
- Stock Gifts — Consider transferring appreciated stocks, bonds, mutual funds or exchange traded funds to benefit AWIS (and avoid capital gains tax).
- Memorial Gifts — Make a gift in honor or in memory of someone you love.
For questions or additional information about how you can support AWIS, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 202-827-9798 .